You may have noticed, here at River and Sage, we only use 100% cotton fabric for all our clothes. There are many benefits for using cotton, so we wont bore you with a science paper, but we thought you may be interested in a few key ones.
- Cotton is a natural, soft, absorbent fibre. As a renewable and biodegradable substance, it is environmentally friendly. The varieties of cotton today can also be grown and harvested without the aid of pesticides.
- It is durable, perfect for busy kids and mums! Cotton can be washed at any temperature and will withstand harsh treatment. It is perfect for growing families, for repeated wear and can still look good enough to pass down the generations.
- It is breathable and hypoallergenic. - Cotton keeps the wearer cooler in summer and warmer in winter. It can soak up to 20 percent of its weight before the garment begins to feel damp. Its breathable quality reduces and eliminates rashes and irritations. It is also dust mite resistant so ideal for asthma suffers.
Just a few key points, that we feel are perfect for children's clothes. :)
Interesting cotton facts:
- There are 43 species of cotton in the world and some cotton grows on trees
- Cotton’s strength and absorbency make it an ideal fabric the production of thousands of useful products from sheets and towels, tarps and tents, pharmaceuticals and medical supplies - even astronauts’ inflight space suits
- Chambray is a type of cotton popularly used in the manufacture of blue work shirts, and is where we get the term "blue-collar"
- Cotton can’t hold an electric charge, eliminating static cling
- American ‘paper’ money is a blend of 75% cotton and 25% linen
Resource - Cotton Australia